So Google Books is apparently showing people different versions of the Mark of Athena preview. Some people can get all of Chapters 1-5 to load while others it cuts off earlier. The version that’s loading for me cuts off mid-way through Chapter 3 and then jumps all over the place until it finally ends somewhere around Chapter 20.
Yeah, so while I know a whole of a hell lot more about what’s going on in this book, I am also VERY CONFUSED because HELLO NO CONTEXT.
Anyway, below the cut are some very serious spoilers for Mark of Athena. Please don’t read this if you don’t want to know anything about the plot, narrators or anything else until the book is release next Tuesday.
Please also be respectful of everyone else who wants to wait and DON’T REPOST SPOILERS WITHOUT A CUT. That’s called being an RAGING ASSHOLE and totally uncool.
Anyway, here you go. These are copied from a chat conversation so sorry for the general incoherence and bad language
- Annabeth, Leo, Piper and Percy are the narrators. Excuse me while I die because MORE PERCY.
- Leo hangs out with Echo and Narcissus for a while, idk what the fuck they’re doing besides being awesome.
- Apparently Jason and Percy get into a fight in Kansas somewhere between chapters 8 and like 15
- The demigods have realized that Gaia is after either Percy or Jason’s blood and is trying to kidnap them or something.
- Piper narration: “Today on the highway,” she said, “Gaea told me that she needed the blood of only two demigods - one female, one male. She asked me to chose which boy would die.”
- They’re going to Atlanta to do some shit
- Percy and Frank get captured by a giant to be put on display in a museum and have fights and stuff, so you know. The usual.
- There’s a flashback with Annabeth and her mom where Annabeth talks about going to visit Sally every week while Percy was gone and them crying together
- Athena’s going craycray
- RSquared clearly knows about Nico/Annabeth/Percy and is trying to squash it like a ANT: “Annabeth felt that deadline weighing on her, too. She’d always had mixed feelings about Nico di Angelo. She suspected that he’d had a crush on her ever since they rescued him and his big sister Bianca from that military academy in Main; but Annabeth had never felt any attraction to Nico. He was too young and too moody. There was a darkness in him that made her uneasy.”
- Aphrodite shows up to have tea with Hazel, Piper and Annabeth
- Piper is basically like OMG MOM STOP BEING SO EMBARASSING and Annabeth is like APRHODITE, THE CIVIL WAR WAS NOT ROMANTIC OMG
- Apparently aphrodite, nemesis and bachuus are the three gods that are least effected by their roman/greek counterparts while athena is going nuts/vengeful because she got replaced in Rome
- I’m still LOLing about Aphrodite reminscing about the party the Olympians had the night Fort Sumter was fired upon
- The Mark of Athena is a series of clues that lead to Athena’s statue in Rome and there’s a map in Fort Sumter that will lead them to it
- And THEN Aphrodite says, ”But as you said, Annabeth Chase, no one has ever succeeded in following the Mark of Athena to its end. There you will face your worst fear - the fear of every child of Athena.” MOTHERFUCKING ARACHNE YO
- The tea gets interrupted by Octavian and some other Romans who have followed them all the way to the south.
- AND THEN THERE IS THIS AMAZING SCENE where Annabeth, Hazel and Piper are cornered by the three Romans and Annabeth’s like SHIT WE NEED HELP because Piper’s charmspeaking won’t work and Percy’s doing something in the bay or some shit. So she takes her dagger and throws it in the bay and Octavian’s like WHAT R U DOIN and she’s like HAHA JUST BEING A DUMB BLONDE, OCTAVIAN
- “All around the Romans, Charleston Harbor erupted like a Las Vegas fountain putting on a show. When the wall of seawater subsided, the three Romans were in the bay, spluttering and frantically trying to stay afloat in the armor. Percy stood on the dock, holding Annabeth’s dagger ”You dropped this,” he said, totally poker-faced. Annabeth threw her arms around him. “I love you!”
- also, there’s this scene: ”The fort is crawling with Romans,” Percy warned. “You’ll have to fight your way through, find our friends - assuming they’re okay - find this map, and get everybody back alive. All on your own?” ”Just an average day,” Annabeth kissed him. “Whatever you do, don’t let them take this ship!”
- Annnd then it ends with Jason sword fighting with Dakota.